The Manager, Software Engineering at Macy’s Technology reports to the Director, DaaS Data Foundation, and plays a key role in leading the delivery of next generation foundational capabilities for the real-time data hub within DaaS. The Manager, Software Engineering plays a key role in leading the implementation and support of real time datahub, and driving its adoption across Macy’s Technology.
The Manager collaborates with various levels of stakeholders (Sr. Leadership, each department’s management, project teams, Infrastructure and Field Services leaders, and enterprise architects) on architecture, requirements, and implementation of application platform features; Possesses a combination of systems and technology experience along with strong thought leadership skill to define platform release plans that deliver key enabling features in time to support major initiatives across the enterprise; Evangelizes the use of platform features in business application development across East and West Coast departments; Builds and leads high performing solution architecture and engineering teams to deliver and support platform features, frameworks, and automations that provide omnichannel applications and services speed and scale; Drives platform innovation in both technology and process; Inspires the teams to achieve outstanding results in a fast paced environment. Perform other duties as assigned.
• Creates platform feature roadmap and define monthly release plans.
• Leads the implementation of datahub services, frameworks, automations, and infrastructure that the departments, teams and their projects depend upon.
• Supports department, teams and their projects on their onboarding into application and throughout their development life cycle.
• Evolves platform maturity in automation, operations, stability, and support.
• Communicates latest platform development and features to the enterprise through case studies, standards and best practice publications, presentations, newsletters, and town hall meetings.
• Maintains awareness of industry trends and evaluate applicability of new software tools to platform development.
• Consistently demonstrates regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
• Decides and prioritizes the deliverables of MAIN platform components, participates and recommends the technical direction of the platform, and influences how project teams in departments develop and support MAIN dependent applications.
• Make management decisions, as well as make recommendations for advancement and promotions.
• Bachelor's or Master's Degree preferred and 8-10 years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Strong leadership profile and excellent prioritization and negotiation skills, capable of managing multiple streams of work in parallel with aggressive timelines.
• He/she must have strong organizational and leadership capabilities, and have solid track record of leading engineering team and delivering enterprise class products. He/she must also have broad and deep technical understanding of the technologies in this field.
• Deep technical understanding of the technologies in the data hub. The list of technology includes but not limited to: Java/J2EE, Tibco BW/BE/EMS, Active Spaces, Spark, Cassandra, Kafka, Elastic Search, Kibana, Tomcat, JBoss, stream processing, RDBMS, NoSQL databases, In-memory databases, ODS, distributed processing.
• Strong data management principles, around data architecture, modeling/design, data quality, security, data organization and operations.
• Experience in processing large amounts of data in real-time at internet scale for operational and analytic purposes.
• Has excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information of the platform in a clear and concise manner to executives and non-technical leaders.
• Must have excellent presentation skills to wide spectrum of audience types (Sr. Executives to Technical Architects and Developers).
• Strong technical aptitude, along with analytical skills.
• Advanced statistical knowledge, including experience with application of statistic to predictive analytics, probabilistic modeling, and unstructured text analysis.
• Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
• This position involves regular ambulating, sitting, hearing, and talking.
• May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
• May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, and focus adjustment.
• Involve use of hands and fingers for typing on keyboard and using a mouse.
• May be a need to move or lift items under 10 pounds.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and store/company needs.
Macy’s Inc. is one of the nation’s premier retailers. With fiscal 2016 sales of $25.778 billion and approximately 140,000 employees, the company operates more than 700 department stores under the nameplates Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s, and approximately 125 specialty stores that include Bloomingdale’s The Outlet, Bluemercury and Macy’s Backstage. Macy’s, Inc. operates stores in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Guam and Puerto Rico, as well as macys.com, bloomingdales.com and bluemercury.com. Bloomingdale’s stores in Dubai and Kuwait are operated by Al Tayer Group LLC under license agreements. Macy’s, Inc. has corporate offices in Cincinnati, Ohio and New York, New York.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.