The Macy’s Network Operations team is responsible for ongoing operations and maintenance of the Macy’s Inc. enterprise network. The team is responsible for all areas of the network including stores, datacenters, Ecommerce, and connectivity to various cloud environments. The primary focus of Network Operations is to deliver stability and performance in a highly complex and widely distributed environment that is undergoing constant change. Day to day tasks for this team usually consist of troubleshooting productions issues, preparing for and implementing routine changes in accordance with a common change management process, and performing root cause analysis.
We are looking for a Manager for the Network Operations team who has technical expertise in network technologies and a passion for incremental improvement and problem resolution. This person will lead a team of Network Engineers, both domestic and off-shore, across different shift schedules with 24x5 coverage. The team also has a 24x7 on-call and the Network Operations manager should be available to manage occasional escalations as needed. A typical day in the life of a Network Operations Manager at Macy’s could involve prioritizing and delegating change tickets, incident tickets, and RCA; providing technical leadership in order to steer problem resolution in the right direction; translating technical problems into easy to understand terminology when communicating to senior leadership and/or business partners; attending operational review meetings; working with our MPLS managed service provider or other 3rd party technology providers; collaborating with other technology groups within Macy’s to solve problems.
Primary technology platforms within the responsibility of Network Operations include but are not limited to: Cisco IOS, NXOS, and Meraki routers and switches, Extreme Networks WING wireless access points; and F5 LTM and GTM as well as AVI load balancers. There are a number of monitoring and management tools that are also the responsibility of Network Operations including but not limited to, Thousandeyes, Solar Winds NPM/NCM, Extreme Nsight, etc. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Manage a team of Network Engineers who also have experience in LAN/WAN/Wireless/Load Balancing.
- Work with providers/telcos/vendors/ business partners for services and escalation of issue.
- Automate repetitive network tasks.
- Provide active monitoring for network connectivity, utilization, and latency.
- Review and recommend innovative changes to improve network performance, stability, and ease of management.
- Plan for upgrade and refresh of aged network WAN and LAN equipment.
- Participate in the architecture and design of WAN and LAN network topology.
- Consistently demonstrates regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in IT Networking. Proven track record showing 10 or more years full-time hands-on networking experience. Previous management experience strongly preferred but not required.
- Load balancing experience a plus, F5 experience a big plus.
- Must have at least 5 years of experience with Cisco IOS and NXOS routers & switches.
- Multi-vendor networking devices a big plus.
- SDN knowledge and/or experience a big plus.
- Advanced level experience with Cisco implementations of LAN, WAN, VPN, firewall, secure wireless, remote access. Advanced level experience with technologies including VLANs, VTP, 802.1q, 802.1x, PoE, trunks, VPC, T1/DS1, MPLS, TLS, PPP. Advanced level experience with routing & services including BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, GRE, PBR, NAT, DHCP, DNS, NTP, HSRP, QoS, multicast. Experience with various Cisco products such as ACS, ASAs, ISR routers and Nexus switches.
- Wireless LAN experience from diverse vendors a plus.
- An understanding of Session Border controllers and their role in the network is a positive attribute.
- Experience with diagnostic and NMS applications such as sniffers and NetFlow or SNMP-based monitoring tools (Solarwinds) a plus.
- Experience documenting configurations, Visio maps, operational procedures and manuals is required.
- Any certifications are a plus.
- Programming and scripting experience is a plus.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing with good spelling and grammar.
- Must be persuasive and able to articulate technical details at a high level.
- Must be customer-service-minded and tactful when dealing with customers.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers, vendors, coworkers, employees and VP level executives.
- Must have excellent customer interaction skills with senior management.
- Must have good mediation skills and be able to negotiate differences within the team or across teams.
- Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and analytical skills.
- Strong attention to detail along with sharp analytical skills to identify complex problems at the network, systems and application layers.
- Must demonstrate excellent decision-making skills as you will be required to weigh business impact vs. risk when determining if/when/how to take corrective action.
- This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking.
- May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
- May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, focus adjustment, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time.
- Involves manual dexterity for using keyboard, mouse, and other office equipment.
- May involve moving or lifting items under 10 pounds.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
Macy’s Inc. is one of the nation’s premier retailers. With fiscal 2016 sales of $25.778 billion and approximately 140,000 employees, the company operates more than 700 department stores under the nameplates Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s, and approximately 125 specialty stores that include Bloomingdale’s The Outlet, Bluemercury and Macy’s Backstage. Macy’s, Inc. operates stores in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Guam and Puerto Rico, as well as macys.com, bloomingdales.com and bluemercury.com. Bloomingdale’s stores in Dubai and Kuwait are operated by Al Tayer Group LLC under license agreements. Macy’s, Inc. has corporate offices in Cincinnati, Ohio and New York, New York.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.