San Francisco - California
Date Posted: Apr. 29, 2019
Requisition ID: MAC14778Apply
Macy’s Inc. seeks a passionate, team-oriented Director of User Experience Design to join its Customer Experience organization to play a key leadership role in shaping the user experience design for Macy’s.com. The Director of UX Design will be responsible for setting strategic design vision for key initiatives across business units, and will manage of team of UX designers and UX managers to realize Macy’s strategic vision. The Director of UX Design will apply their strong understanding of customer needs with an equally deep understanding of business goals to champion design solutions that deliver value to Macy’s business and customers. Candidates should have a minimum of 10 years of experience designing across digital channels, including at least 5 years managing design teams. Strong candidates should possess a proven track record of leading and developing world class design teams in a fast paced collaborative environment, working and influencing in a cross-functional context, and leveraging research and data to inform the design of the experience. The Director, User Experience Design will draw on experience to build relationships and maximize the output of the team. Perform other duties as assigned.
• Leads and manages user experience design vision of the web channel that meets long term business goals and user needs (as measured by KPI’s and user success metrics).
• Partners with product management and technology, and develops UX design vision for assigned domains (business units) that aligns to Macy’s overall strategic vision for assigned domains.
• Partners with product management to define strategy success metrics for assigned domains, including business goals and user needs for assigned domains. Partners with user research management to define user success metrics for assigned domains.
• Evangelizes UX design vision and the importance of UX design across the company, and acts as spokesperson and representative to senior management and outside departments, advocating for UXD involvement across all customer touch points.
• Serve as a subject matter expert and thought leader on user experience design across the company (including your assigned channel, the CX organization, and other organizations), as well as the broader design community (e.g. presenting at conferences, writing articles, teaching, etc.).
• Leads and manages user experience design implementation of the web channel that meets near term business goals and user needs (as measured by KPI’s and user success metrics).
• Oversees the user experience designs delivered by the UX design team for assigned domains and ensures business goals (as measured by KPI’s) and user needs (as measured by user success metrics) are met.
• Partners with executives, product management, technology, customer data teams (e.g. consumer insights, analytics, etc.) and user research to define project success metrics for projects within assigned domains.
• Partners with product management and technology, and ensures that UX design projects for assigned domains are delivered on time, on strategy, and on budget.
• Develops and refines UX design processes that best support strategic alignment, speed, and efficiency of operationalizing user experience design for the assigned domains and the overall UX department.
• Leads and manages a team of UX Managers and UX Designers.
• Hires and retains top talent. Responsible for performance management of team members.
• Responsible for staffing resources for projects and ensures project deadlines are met by team members.
• Ensures that the UX design team’s skills and staffing assignments are strategically aligned to project needs.
• Manages consultants and vendor relationships as needed.
• Develops the skills of UX design team members to support business needs and individual career aspirations. Develops talent through coaching and mentoring, and provides support and guidance to UX design team.
• Ensures team is trained on Macy’s processes, methodologies, standards, and engagement models.
• Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
• BA/BS in Design Required, preferably in UX related fields of HCI, Industrial Design, Product Design, Architecture or Graphic Design.
• Masters degree preferred.
• Minimum 10 years UX/UI design experience across consumer mobile websites, applications or retail stores with at least 5 years managing a design team.
• Strong thought leadership and UX design vision skills, including strong analytical, strategic, and conceptual design skills.
• Deep knowledge designing for responsive web experiences; well versed in user interface design processes and methodology, including user-centered design.
• Strong ability to leverage metrics, optimization, and qualitative and quantitative research to inform and validate design decisions.
• Must have a strong portfolio that clearly articulates how complex problems are solved by your user experience designs.
• Strong verbal and written communicator with all levels of business leaders; ability to influence and cultivate relationship with key business stakeholders in the organization
• Ability to read, write and interpret business and technical documents.
• Create and present documentation, findings and points of view material.
• Excellent people management skills, including the ability to attract and retain world class talent, as well as the ability to align resources to business needs while supporting the career development of staff members. Ability to inspire, develop, and coach team members.
• Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and analytical skills.
• Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and make sound decisions.
• This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking.
• May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
• May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, focus adjustment, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time.
• Involves manual dexterity for using keyboard, mouse, and other office equipment.
• May involve moving or lifting items under 10 pounds.
• Strong leadership profile, exceptional design skills, and excellent negotiation skills.
• Expert project management and prioritization skills; ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, at various stages of their development; ability to effectively delegate responsibilities and tasks to staff managers and designers.
• Exceptional negotiation skills across a variety of audiences; can successfully advocate both business-facing and IT technology solutions among peers and to executive leadership.
• Sound business judgment: the ability to identify the business objectives, develop and implement a business strategy on projects; capable of making reliable business decisions during execution.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
As the fastest growing part of Macy's Inc. business, macys.com is achieving record sales and broadening our workforce. Macys.com offers the entrepreneurial culture of a web business with the stability and support of the best brand in retailing. Creativity and ingenuity partner with business acumen and tech savvy to build a unique business poised for substantial growth. If you're interested in being a part of that growth and want to know what it's really like to work at macys.com, get an inside look at http://ecommerce.macysjobs.com/
Our employees have long-term opportunities and are encouraged to utilize their Supervisors and Human Resources for cross-functional movement to further their careers. At macys.com we are committed to giving back to the community by partnering with local charitable organizations. By skillfully combining the power of digital technology and omnichannel integration with the best in retailing, macys.com is reaching new heights.
This job overview is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy’s, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job overview at any time. Macy’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Macy’s, Inc. – including Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s – will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal convictions in a manner consistent with SFPC Art. 49 and LA MC ch.XVIII Art. 9.