San Francisco - California
Date Posted: Feb. 15, 2019
Requisition ID: MAC13838Apply
The Engineering Manager, Search will work with multiple technical leads across projects. This person has demonstrated the successful management of multiple development teams encompassing a total of 10-30 engineers where resources may be either onshore or offshore and can take diverse/changing requirements and turn them first into actionable plans. This person understands the value of having a strong design/architecture before coding and is a creator motivated by the need to serve the business. The ideal candidate will have had experience in the high paced energy of startups as well as experience in the structured world of larger companies. This role requires both strong tactical skills and strategic level thinking. On the tactical side, this person needs to be able to help the team navigate through day-to-day data and service integration issues, manage the team and architecture to provide the agreed-upon SLAs, and shepherd in-flight projects to their successful ends. On the strategic level, this person needs to contribute to the overall enterprise discussions of a customer facing ecommerce search application/engine. This is a unique position that'll reward someone with a great vision with the opportunity to actually deliver it in a pragmatic way. This candidate will work closely with Product Managers, other Technical Leads, Software Engineers, Operations, Devops, and Project Managers in a highly collaborative environment to provide quality software and solutions, while providing the necessary leadership to deliver releases on time and on budget. Perform other duties as assigned.
• Own the core Search engineering team, road map, and deliverables.
• Own development team's tools, processes, and quality / performance of the work produced by the team.
• Collaborate with Product Managers to estimate and plan work.
• Work with Technical Leads and Architects to resolve development roadblocks.
• Own the relationships with key supporting teams.
• Own the relationships with key product vendors and service providers.
• Ensure the excellent delivery track record continues while facing increasing complexity and magnitude.
• Report critical issues to management effectively, timely, and with clarity.
• Hands-on system design and development as needed.
• Hands-on mentoring of the team, driving the SDLC and methodology, tracking the current tasks of the team members, and escalating issues as needed.
• Work with the Principal Architect and Director of Development in constructing the product roadmap for each of the applications under his/her purview.
• Utilize strong communication and consulting skills to successful create partnerships with other technology teams internal and external to Macy's.
• Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
• BA/BS Degree in Computer Science/Engineering preferred or equivalent work experience.
• Minimum of 10 years total experience as an engineer in a web environment.
• 3 years leading technical teams.
• 5 years full life cycle development Java development experience.
• 2+ years experience of implementing a custom Search solution (Solr, Elastic, Endeca, etc). SolrCloud experience preferred.
• Experience with distributed data processing technologies (Spark, Hadoop, Kafka).
• Experience or passion for high performance, scalable engineering and big data.
• Working knowledge of Machine Learning algorithms and use cases.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Able to effectively communicate across teams and roles.
• Able to read, write, and interpret complex documents.
• Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and analytical skills.
• Lead the development phase of projects, making work assignments and managing task completion.
• Select tools/methodologies for projects.
• Commit to deliverables for scope of work.
• Modify jobs and schedules for jobs as necessary.
• This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking.
• May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
• May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, focus adjustment, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time.
• Involves manual dexterity for using keyboard, mouse, and other office equipment.
• May involve moving or lifting items under 10 pounds.
• Passionate advocate of TDD practices a strong plus.
• Experience working with and tuning high volume web applications a strong plus.
• Demonstrable ability to deliver projects on time, with high quality, and within budget.
• Ability to deliver full life cycle engagements.
• Ability and desire to thrive in a proactive, high-pressure, client-services, environment.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
• Up to 5% travel – Offices Onshore, Conferences – up to 4x a yr.
As the fastest growing part of Macy's Inc. business, macys.com is achieving record sales and broadening our workforce. Macys.com offers the entrepreneurial culture of a web business with the stability and support of the best brand in retailing. Creativity and ingenuity partner with business acumen and tech savvy to build a unique business poised for substantial growth. If you're interested in being a part of that growth and want to know what it's really like to work at macys.com, get an inside look at http://ecommerce.macysjobs.com/
Our employees have long-term opportunities and are encouraged to utilize their Supervisors and Human Resources for cross-functional movement to further their careers. At macys.com we are committed to giving back to the community by partnering with local charitable organizations. By skillfully combining the power of digital technology and omnichannel integration with the best in retailing, macys.com is reaching new heights.
This job overview is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy’s, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job overview at any time. Macy’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Macy’s, Inc. – including Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s – will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal convictions in a manner consistent with SFPC Art. 49 and LA MC ch.XVIII Art. 9.