Johns Creek - Georgia
Date Posted: Feb. 07, 2019
Requisition ID: MAC13735Apply
At Macy’s, we’re moving fast - we’re at top speed to become America’s premiere retailer. Macy’s Technology strives to set the pace by providing seamless and compelling shopping experiences for our Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s customers. Macy’s Technology is creating innovative technology solutions to support these experiences and define the future of retailing.
This Staff Software Engineer role in Macy’s Technology drives innovation via design and development of cross-functional, multi-platform application systems. Macys Technology Fulfillment technology team is where we strategically plan, analyze, and produce results that optimize the efficiency of Macys Supply chain. Members of the team are exceptional engineers who have the passion to architect and build new robust software with cutting edge technologies and data techniques. We create a wide array of solutions for problems in order optimization, pick path optimization, work scheduling and assignment and optimized bin packing algorithms.
Must have the expertise to translate business requirements into well-engineered cloud application systems on Google Cloud, Azure or AWS. Interface with internal customers to determine the most efficient and cost-effective approach to meet business requirements and design, develop, test, install, and deploy the required software applications. Develop solutions utilizing a variety of software technologies, including new code construction, modifications to existing modules, configuration and/or package implementation. Perform other duties as assigned.
• Lead the development of the strategy and technical design for large work type 2 and 3 projects, i.e. define timelines and project plans, analyze and estimate feasibility, cost, time, and compatibility with hardware and other programs; ensure that expected application performance levels are achieved.
• Commit to overall deliverables with customers and/or management.
• Recommend vendors for projects, and negotiates terms/conditions with vendors, and support evaluation of new technical direction and approach with recommendations to Macy’s Technology senior management.
• Lead the coding/configuration, testing, implementation and documentation of solution and develop detailed design specifications.
• Perform complex applications programming activities, including code, test, debugging, documentation, maintenance, and modification to complex application programs.
• Monitor and establish operating efficiency of existing application systems and provide (or arrange for) proactive maintenance; lead the resolution of customer inquiries.
• Serve as a coach and mentor to more junior developers to include delegating and managing tasks, as appropriate.
• Design systems/applications with high level of complexity (e.g. many interfaces, multiple packages, platforms)
• Evaluate the applicability of leading edge technologies and use this information to significantly influence future business strategies
• Generate technical and/or business systems knowledge and ideas from external sources and incorporate those ideas into IT work
• Act as a technology mentor to team members
• Consistently demonstrate regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and/or Engineering and 10+ years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience; Master's degree preferred.
• 8-10 years of “hands-on” experience with Java Enterprise, Java application servers (WebSphere, or WebLogic, or JBOSS), and relational databases (Oracle, DB2 or SQL Server).
• 8-10 years of experience with JDA suite including configurations and integrations with other systems using JDA APIs library.
• 3-5 years of “hands-on” experience with Web Services and Messaging Layer using SOAP, REST, JAXB, JMS.
• Experience in working on Cloud technologies, preferably cloud native with Google Cloud Platform would be a plus.
• Deep technical understanding of the technologies in the enterprise systems; includes (but not limited to) Java/J2EE, Spring, Hibernate, EMS, Kafka, JBoss, RDBMS, Cloud/Micro services, Caching, Secure Development Lifecycle, Distributed Processing.
• In-depth knowledge of event-driven architecture (EDA) and service-oriented architecture (SOA).
• Experience in CI/CD, DevOps process and tools, and Containerization.
• Demonstrate a broad understanding of the application flow and technical architectures.
• Serve as a technical expert on existing applications and other inter-related/adjacent systems and applications.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to read, write, and interpret complex technical documents.
• Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and analytical skills.
• Very strong analysis/troubleshooting skills, strong partnering/relationship building skills.
• Ability to consider options and make business decisions (e.g. selection of tools/methodologies for projects).
• This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking.
• May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
• May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, focus adjustment, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time.
• Involves manual dexterity for using keyboard, mouse, and other office equipment.
• May involve moving or lifting items under 10 pounds.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
Macy’s Inc. is one of the nation’s premier retailers. With fiscal 2016 sales of $25.778 billion and approximately 140,000 employees, the company operates more than 700 department stores under the nameplates Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s, and approximately 125 specialty stores that include Bloomingdale’s The Outlet, Bluemercury and Macy’s Backstage. Macy’s, Inc. operates stores in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Guam and Puerto Rico, as well as macys.com, bloomingdales.com and bluemercury.com. Bloomingdale’s stores in Dubai and Kuwait are operated by Al Tayer Group LLC under license agreements. Macy’s, Inc. has corporate offices in Cincinnati, Ohio and New York, New York.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.