San Francisco - California
Date Posted: Dec. 28, 2018
Requisition ID: MAC13347Apply
A Principal Engineer is a hands-on subject matter expert who is responsible for the overall software design of many components within a system and can lead the technical implementation of multiple projects. The ideal candidate will have had experience of working in high paced environment and good knowledge of Search Engines including Information Retrieval, Relevance, Natural Language Processing, Inverted Indexes, Posting Lists, TF/IDF and other scoring algorithms. This Principal Engineer will need to have strong Java, Python, Data Structures and algorithms experience and be hands-on, as well as have some Big Data, NoSQL, Solr/Lucene development experience. The successful applicant will work closely with Product Managers, Technical Leads, Software Engineers, Principal Engineers, Quality Assurance Engineers and Architects in a highly collaborative environment to provide quality software and solutions, while providing the necessary leadership to deliver releases on time and on budget. Perform other duties as assigned.
• Proficient in writing algorithms to process Data.
• Collecting and preprocessing data, prototyping cutting-edge machine learning algorithms, and testing them on production data.
• Excellent System Analysis skills required.
• Design and implement tools to process both structured and unstructured data in batch and real time streams.
• Work with Business stakeholders and Product Managers and help them in understanding the Search domain.
• Create modules to extract features and signals from diverse data collections.
• Process large data logs to detect patterns and insights.
• Work with Linguists, Product Management and QA Teams to deliver reliable, high-performance sub-systems and applications that power our Functional Search Platform.
• Work in a full Agile collaborative environment - including meetings, iterative development, estimations and design sessions.
• Work with senior developers, Application Architects and quality assurance engineers to resolve development roadblocks.
• Work with distributed teams across various time zones.
• Hands-on system design and development as needed.
• Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
• BS Degree required.
• 14+ years of full life cycle J2EE hands-on experience designing and developing large scale web applications on high traffic site(s).
• 4+ years of hands-on experience architecting and implementing online search with Solr/Lucene and/or ElasticSearch.
• 4+ years of hands-on experience with Python, SOA, REST Web Services, XML, JSON.
• 2+ years of hands-on experience with NoSQL technologies such as HBase, Cassandra, Document DBs and In-Memory NewSQLs and Caches is nice to have.
• Experience with machine learning, statistical techniques, text mining, natural language processing, computational linguistics and information retrieval.
• Experience working with multi-threaded programming in high performance, distributed environments.
• Experience with UML diagramming is required.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Able to effectively communicate across teams and roles.
• Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and analytical skills.
• Proven ability as a problem-solver.
• This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking.
• May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
• May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, focus adjustment, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time.
• Involves manual dexterity for using keyboard, mouse, and other office equipment.
• May involve moving or lifting items under 10 pounds.
• Ability and desire to thrive in a proactive, high-pressure, client-services environment.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and store/company needs.
This job overview is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy’s, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job overview at any time. Macy’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Macy’s, Inc. – including Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s – will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal convictions in a manner consistent with SFPC Art. 49 and LA MC ch.XVIII Art. 9.