San Francisco - California
Date Posted: Dec. 05, 2018
Requisition ID: MAC13126Apply
A Staff Engineer role involves designing and developing software systems and applications. They should be comfortable coding when necessary and providing ongoing direction on design principles to the development team. It requires a passion for looking ahead of the current scope and thinking broad to cover scenarios that may arise in the future, possibly utilizing emerging technologies to accomplish business objectives.
Beyond technical capabilities we are looking for a person who can take diverse and changing requirements and turn them into actionable plans. An ideal candidate will have had experience in high paced energy of startups as well as experience in the structured world of larger companies. Additional responsibilities include mentoring the team, providing them guidance on solutions, and escalating issues as needed. The successful applicant will work closely with Product Managers, Technical Leads, Software Engineers, Operations, and Quality Assurance Engineers in a collaborative environment to provide quality software and solutions, while providing the necessary leadership to deliver releases on time and on budget. Perform other duties as assigned.
• Own the core design and architecture of development team deliverables.
• Own development team’s tools, and provide direction on quality / performance of the work produced by the team.
• Work in a full Agile collaborative environment - including meetings, iterative development, estimations and design sessions.
• Collaborate with Product Managers and PMs to estimate and plan work, provide status updates to stakeholders and executives.
• Work with tech leads, senior developers, enterprise architects and quality assurance engineers to resolve development roadblocks.
• Work with distributed teams across various time zones.
• Own the relationships with key supporting teams.
• Report critical issues to management effectively, timely, and with clarity.
• Hands-on development as needed.
• Hands-on mentoring of the team.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science/Engineering and 8 years experience or Master’s Degree in Computer Science/Engineering and 6 years experience.
• 5+ years in an architect or lead role designing and architecting solutions in a web application environment
• 7+ years full life cycle development J2EE or UI project development experience.
• 7+ years experience with SOA, Java Web Services, XML, and Messaging techniques.
• An Object-Oriented philosopher with experience understanding and applying OO design patterns.
• Experience with UML diagramming tools required.
• Experience working with and tuning high-volume web applications a strong plus.
• Agile experienced with strong estimating and planning skills.
• Ability to write technical specifications.
• Able to communicate across teams and roles.
• Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and analytical skills.
• Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and make sound decisions.
• This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking.
• May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
• May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, focus adjustment, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time.
• Involves manual dexterity for using keyboard, mouse, and other office equipment.
• May involve moving or lifting items under 10 pounds.
• Passionate advocate of TDD practices a strong plus.
• Demonstrable ability to deliver projects on time, with high quality, and within budget.
• Reliable and ability to deliver full life cycle engagements.
• Ability and desire to thrive in a proactive, high-pressure, client-services, environment.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
Macy’s Inc. is one of the nation’s premier retailers. With fiscal 2016 sales of $25.778 billion and approximately 140,000 employees, the company operates more than 700 department stores under the nameplates Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s, and approximately 125 specialty stores that include Bloomingdale’s The Outlet, Bluemercury and Macy’s Backstage. Macy’s, Inc. operates stores in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Guam and Puerto Rico, as well as macys.com, bloomingdales.com and bluemercury.com. Bloomingdale’s stores in Dubai and Kuwait are operated by Al Tayer Group LLC under license agreements. Macy’s, Inc. has corporate offices in Cincinnati, Ohio and New York, New York.
This job overview is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy’s, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job overview at any time. Macy’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Macy’s, Inc. – including Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s – will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal convictions in a manner consistent with SFPC Art. 49 and LA MC ch.XVIII Art. 9.