San Francisco - California
Date Posted: Nov. 26, 2018
Requisition ID: MAC13039Apply
We are seeking a Full Stack Data Engineering Architect to join Enterprise Data as a Service (DaaS) engineering team at Macy’s. Our bar is high, but so are the results we achieve.
Data as a Service (DaaS) is an enterprise platform team that organizes Macy’s data and makes it available for applications and business units. It collects, correlates, enriches, and manages Macy’s core data to produce single view of truth for use at speed and at scale. We are passionate technologists who thrive on simple and elegant architecture and agility. We own the architecture and development of comprehensive data management, bringing real-time operational use, near real-time visibility use, and off-line deep analytical use together in a cohesive and holistic way. Innovation and engineering prowess is our core to stay ahead of our user’s demand and the industry changing landscape. Come get challenged in a fast, agile environment with other A players. Perform other duties as assigned.
• Lead, design and implement innovative Big Data analytical solution using Google cloud platform framework such as BigQuery, DataFlow, DataLab, Pub/Sub, ML Engine, BigTable, and Workflow Etc.
• Work with engineering, product, and business team(s) to understand requirements, evaluate new features and architecture to help drive decisions.
• Strong ownership of the full backend stack - from design through to deploy and beyond.
• Experience working with continuous integration (CI/CD) framework, building regression-able code within data world using GitHub, Jenkins and related applications.
• Develop automated tooling for deployment and maintenance.
• Analyze and improve efficiency, reliability, and scalability of the platform.
• Improve observability of backend systems through better monitoring and logging.
• Build collaborative partnerships with architects, technical leads and key individuals within other cross functional groups.
• Actively participate in code review and test solutions to ensure it meets best practice specifications.
• Build and foster a high performance engineering culture, mentor team members and provide team with the tools and motivation to make things happen.
• Work with stakeholders and cross-functional teams to develop new solutions or enhance existing solution.
• Perform detailed analysis of business problems and technical environments and use this in designing quality technical solution.
• Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
• BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent.
• A minimum of 8+ years of experience in software development and deployment with at least 5+ years hands-on experience with Big Data Cloud platforms like Google Cloud (GCP), Azure HDInsight (Hortonworks), Hadoop applications (e.g. administration, configuration management, monitoring, debugging, and performance tuning).
• Experience with programming/scripting languages such as Java/Python/Scala/R (any combination).
• Hands-on development experience using open source big data components such Hadoop (Hive, Pig, Spark, Kafka, Sqoop etc.), Google BigQuery and Amazon Redshift is preferred.
• Experience building applications using Google Cloud Platform related frameworks such as DataFlow,
• Strong experience with Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) or ELT data ingestion workload, data pipeline or database architecture.
• Strong experience with data modeling, design patterns, building highly scalable Big • Data Solutions and distributed applications.
• Knowledge of cloud platforms, for example:
• Experience with Azure, AWS or equivalent cloud platforms.
• Microsoft Azure: Experience designing, deploying, and administering scalable, available, and fault tolerant systems on Microsoft Azure using HDInsights or Analytics Platform System (APS).
• Experience with Azure Management Portal, Azure Machine Learning, and Azure SQL Server.
• Hadoop: Experience with storing, joining, filtering, and analyzing data using Spark, Hive and Map Reduce.
• Experience working in retail industry with large-scale enterprise organization, ecommerce, marketing and CRM applications will be a plus.
• Analytical approach to problem solving with an ability to work at an abstract level and gain consensus; excellent interpersonal, leadership and communication skills.
• Data-oriented personality. Motivated, independent, efficient and able to handle several projects; work under pressure with a solid sense for setting priorities.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced (startup like) agile development environment. Friendly, articulate, and interested in working in a fun, small team environment.
• Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
• Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and analytical skills.
Capable of delivering on multiple competing priorities with little supervision.
• This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking.
• May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
• May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, focus adjustment, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time.
• Involves manual dexterity for using keyboard, mouse, and other office equipment.
• May involve moving or lifting items under 10 pounds.
• Understanding of systems design and technical concepts in order to communicate effectively with other cross-functional teams.
• Willing to strive for the ideal design process while still working within the framework of the organization, project, and environment.
• Strong knowledge and experience with Agile/Scrum methodology and iterative practices in a service delivery lifecycle is a PLUS.
• Strong estimating, planning skills and proven ability as a problem-solver.
• Ability and desire to thrive in a proactive, high-pressure, client-services environment.
• Experience with machine learning, statistical techniques, text mining, natural language processing, computational linguistics and information retrieval is a plus.
• Retail or Customer or marketing analytics background is a plus.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
As the fastest growing part of Macy's Inc. business, macys.com is achieving record sales and broadening our workforce. Macys.com offers the entrepreneurial culture of a web business with the stability and support of the best brand in retailing. Creativity and ingenuity partner with business acumen and tech savvy to build a unique business poised for substantial growth. If you're interested in being a part of that growth and want to know what it's really like to work at macys.com, get an inside look at http://ecommerce.macysjobs.com/
Our employees have long-term opportunities and are encouraged to utilize their Supervisors and Human Resources for cross-functional movement to further their careers. At macys.com we are committed to giving back to the community by partnering with local charitable organizations. By skillfully combining the power of digital technology and omnichannel integration with the best in retailing, macys.com is reaching new heights.
This job overview is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy’s, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job overview at any time. Macy’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Macy’s, Inc. – including Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s – will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal convictions in a manner consistent with SFPC Art. 49 and LA MC ch.XVIII Art. 9.