San Francisco - California
Date Posted: Nov. 26, 2018
Requisition ID: MAC13037Apply
Interested in working with one of the largest fashion and e-commerce datasets in the worlds? Tired of prototyping machine learning models that don’t make it into production? This is great time to be joining Macy’s as a machine learning engineer and be embedded in one of our lean labs that are responsible for personalizing the customer journey on Macy’s.com.
You will help contribute to our large-scale, real-time machine learning ecosystem that enables our customers to find the most inspiring and relevant products on our website. For that we employ a range of machine learning techniques, such as:
• Real-time personalization recommendations
• Personalized search ranking
• Customer segmentation
• Deep learning computer vision models
• Deep learning recommendation models
• Contextual multi-arm bandits
We use these techniques to optimize the content on our home page, return the most relevant search results and surprise our customers with interesting fashion products.
You will be working in a lean lab setting. This means you will collaborate directly with data engineers, software engineers and product managers to bring your algorithms to life. These lab are empowered to move independently, so they can test models at a fast pace.
We are looking for machine learning engineers that have a strong mathematical background and are capable of working with software engineers to implement new algorithms on our machine learning platforms. We are expecting candidates to have previously prototyped and scaled machine learning models in a related field. Great communications skills are important for sharing your insights and influence the teams. Furthermore, you should be comfortable working independently and have a strong focus on productionalizing new models. Perform other duties as assigned.
We work on relevance algorithms from information retrieval, machine learning and ranking to deliver a high-availability, low-latency service, which directly impacts business metrics. Your duties include:
• Responsible for proposing new models or improving our existing models in line with our business goals.
• Responsible for building machine-learning pipelines optimized for our production infrastructure.
• Responsible for the continuous evaluation of the quality of our machine-learning ecosystem.
• Discover trends and patterns in datasets to identify new opportunities.
• Support software engineers developing and evaluating machine-learning pipelines.
• Support analysts and product managers with advanced statistical analysis on log or reporting datasets.
• Contribute to sharing and developing best-practices.
• Contribute to our machine-learning development lifecycle process.
• Contribute to support systems including monitoring, reporting and serving solutions.
• Responsible for researching new trends in the industry and utilizing up-to-date technology.
• Work with cross-functional partners across the business.
• Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality.
• PhD in computer science, mathematics or similar field or MS with at least 2-5 years of related experience.
• Deep knowledge of machine learning, information retrieval, data mining, statistics, or related field.
• Strong functional coding skills in Python, Scala, Java or C++.
• Strong preference for hands-on experience with TensorFlow, Scikit-learn, PredictionIO, Spark MLlib, H2O or other ML Libraries.
• Experience working with large data sets and distributed computing tools a plus (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark etc.).
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and analytical skills.
• Superior ability to analyze and interpret the results of product experiments.
• This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking.
• May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
• May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, focus adjustment, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time.
• Involves manual dexterity for using keyboard, mouse, and other office equipment.
• May involve moving or lifting items under 10 pounds.
• Willing to learn new technologies.
• Self starter, quick learner, keen observer, eye for detail and someone who relishes challenges.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
As the fastest growing part of Macy's Inc. business, macys.com is achieving record sales and broadening our workforce. Macys.com offers the entrepreneurial culture of a web business with the stability and support of the best brand in retailing. Creativity and ingenuity partner with business acumen and tech savvy to build a unique business poised for substantial growth. If you're interested in being a part of that growth and want to know what it's really like to work at macys.com, get an inside look at http://ecommerce.macysjobs.com/
Our employees have long-term opportunities and are encouraged to utilize their Supervisors and Human Resources for cross-functional movement to further their careers. At macys.com we are committed to giving back to the community by partnering with local charitable organizations. By skillfully combining the power of digital technology and omnichannel integration with the best in retailing, macys.com is reaching new heights.
This job overview is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy’s, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job overview at any time. Macy’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Macy’s, Inc. – including Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s – will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal convictions in a manner consistent with SFPC Art. 49 and LA MC ch.XVIII Art. 9.