Johns Creek - Georgia
Date Posted: Nov. 21, 2018
Requisition ID: MAC13013Apply
A Principal Architect is a senior technologist who oversees architecture strategies for strategic initiatives spanning multiple Merchandising & Vendor domains and systems across the omni-channel. Principal Architect owns long-term technical vision and roadmaps and is responsible for implementing the vision through the course of enterprise-wide projects by collaborating with development and business teams.
Jointly with development leadership, the Principal Architect develops, promotes and governs architecture principles, standards and strategies; coach development leads, application architects, system analysts and other technical stakeholders. They are ultimately responsible for the delivery of foundational architecture-transforming initiatives for a suite of systems.
Their primary areas of focus are application and system roadmaps, design and direction of application and database architecture, alignment of application architecture with business objectives and high-level company technology direction. Principal Architects partner with other architects and technology decision-makers across the omni-channel to guide overall technology direction. They are also responsible for defining the strategy to integrate with 3rd parties and vendor products into the Macys ecosystem and technology stack. They work closely with Technical Leads, Architects, other Software Engineers and Management in a highly collaborative environment. Principal architects closely work with and mentor other architects in the group and groom them to be successful in their jobs. Perform other duties as assigned.
• Deep, hands-on application knowledge and able to write production quality code as
• Own the application suite’s end-to-end architecture vision and roadmap.
• Collaborate closely with senior technology partners across the omni-channel to drive the architecture vision and roadmap.
• Work closely with the development team to ensure design patterns and direction is successfully and consistently implemented.
• Work with business and Business Analysts to understand end user needs and future
• Deliver project assignments on time, within budget and with high quality.
• Collaborate and mentor other Architects and technologists in the group and groom them to be successful in their jobs.
• Consistently demonstrate regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering and 10 years of experience or an equivalent combination of Master’s Degree in Computer Science/Engineering and 7 years of experience.
• 5+ years’ experience in building complex highly scalable and performant online and offline applications and applying various design patterns.
• 7+ years of application design experience, UML and design patterns a must.
• 7+ years of hands on experience with Java and/or C++.
• Cloud enablement experience desired.
• Conversant with concepts and implementations of Relational and no-sql databases.
• Deep understanding of one or more caching technologies.
• Prior experience with Retail Merchandising & Pricing technologies and processes is preferred.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to read, write, and interpret business and technical documents.
• Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and analytical skills.
• Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and make sound decisions.
• This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking.
• May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
• May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, focus adjustment, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time.
• Involves manual dexterity for using keyboard, mouse, and other office equipment.
• May involve moving or lifting items under 10 pounds.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
Macy’s Inc. is one of the nation’s premier retailers. With fiscal 2016 sales of $25.778 billion and approximately 140,000 employees, the company operates more than 700 department stores under the nameplates Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s, and approximately 125 specialty stores that include Bloomingdale’s The Outlet, Bluemercury and Macy’s Backstage. Macy’s, Inc. operates stores in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Guam and Puerto Rico, as well as macys.com, bloomingdales.com and bluemercury.com. Bloomingdale’s stores in Dubai and Kuwait are operated by Al Tayer Group LLC under license agreements. Macy’s, Inc. has corporate offices in Cincinnati, Ohio and New York, New York.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.