Johns Creek - Georgia
Date Posted: Oct. 23, 2018
Requisition ID: MAC12709Apply
In this role, Director, Quality Engineering will grow, nurture, and lead a multidisciplinary team to develop critical test infrastructure, enact approaches that bring quality further upstream, and share actionable data that keeps quality top of mind. Building and leveraging product based test libraries, architecting an enterprise test data strategy, instilling a shift left culture and maturing our testing journey to modern technology concepts such as predictive algorithms/ AI / ML will be the key.
Drives strategic and operational direction for a defined functional area to support Macy’s Inc. business plan. Forms effective partnerships across Macy’s Inc. and within Macy’s Technology. Exploits industry trends, identifies opportunities, executes strategic plans and ensures enterprise integration. Delivers results by leading efforts in planning, designing, implementing, and maintaining efficient systems and/or processes. Inspires achievement and drives excellence. Builds diverse and inclusion, effective teams, and promotes career development throughout the organization. Perform other duties as assigned.
• Responsible for establishing and clearly communicating the overall test strategy to the Quality Engineering and Technology Leadership teams and aligned with key business initiatives that could consist of cloud computing, technology transformations, strategic architecture direction, and shift-left methodologies. Develops, directs, and executes strategic plans in collaboration with the appropriate stakeholders. Ability to build and establish solid working relationships by providing timely, accurate and high quality information to peers, subordinates, management and/or customers.
• Collaborate with the technology teams and the Quality Engineering teams and the strategic partners, ensures the testing technology stack available for each test team is the most effective and efficient for the architecture and design deployed with that Business Vertical and their products and projects.
• Directs the implementation of continuous quality improvements across the team to improve reliability of test systems, improved speed in remediation of issues, closer alignment with product delivery requirements, and dedicated measures to improve overall product quality that will result in reduced impact to project schedules and cost related to those delays. Budgets, forecasts and monitors capital and expenses. Directs and/or performs cost benefit analysis and business feasibility studies and makes recommendations.
• Build and deploy the necessary quality processes that enable our teams to exceed expectations. Directs the team in designing, documenting and implementing required quality processes, standards, best practices and KPIs that apply to the team and required to be distributed across Business. Collaborates with appropriate stakeholders to identify, recommend, and implement improvements to systems and processes. Ensures compliance with existing processes and standards.
• Lead the charge on defining a quality mindset with your peers in Engineering, Product Management, and Operations. Delivers results by driving strategic and operational direction through effective planning, organizing, prioritizing staff assignments, and continual analysis of workload and personnel needs. A director is responsible for the success of multiple concurrent cross-functional tasks. Drives and manages change. Sets priorities based on thorough understanding of business initiatives; monitors progress of assignments, redistributing resources where appropriate.
• Consistently demonstrates regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
• Designs, establishes, and maintains an unit structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the organization's goals and objectives; employs, trains, directs, and counsels unit staff.
• Develops, motivates, empowers, and evaluates team to expand professional, management, leadership, and technical skills.
• Responsible for ensuring continued success of the team members within their functional work area.
• Identifies strengths and abilities in associates, provides feedback, drives career planning discussions, empowers and motivates associates to achieve goals.
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or Engineering preferred and 10+ years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
5+ years proven leadership experience, coaching, developing and engaging technology teams focused on Quality Engineering.
• 10+ years of software quality engineering experience including test planning, implementation and execution.
• 5+ years’ experience in a management/leadership position for test engineering or QE teams.
• Advanced working knowledge of test engineering processes and methodologies; Expertise in test planning, test case management, code coverage and defect analysis.
• Planning, designing, implementation and use of automated test suites including open source and commercial tools.
• Thorough understanding of performance testing and automation testing. Experience in building / leveraging test harness.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, organizational and time management skills.
• Skilled in CI processes, thorough understanding of Jenkins CI and GIT.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices including coding standards, code reviews, SCM, CI, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Delivering Support for identified functions - driving resolution, reporting & managing SLA, and KPI, root cause analysis.
• Experience in Cloud (GCP, Azure, AWS) preferred.
• Perform the role of Critical Escalation Manager.
• Proven experience as a talent magnet, with a track record of hiring smart, talented engineers.
• Demonstrated leadership, coaching and mentoring skills combined with flexibility working in a dynamic, fast moving and fast growing product development environment.
• Experience with Agile development methodologies.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to read, write, and interpret business and technical documents.
• Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and analytical skills.
• Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
• This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking.
• May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
• May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, focus adjustment, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time.
• Involves manual dexterity for using keyboard, mouse, and other office equipment.
• May involve moving or lifting items under 10 pounds.
• Strong leadership profile and excellent negotiation skills.
• Demonstrable leadership abilities in changing, ambiguous and challenging situations.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
Macy’s Inc. is one of the nation’s premier retailers. With fiscal 2016 sales of $25.778 billion and approximately 140,000 employees, the company operates more than 700 department stores under the nameplates Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s, and approximately 125 specialty stores that include Bloomingdale’s The Outlet, Bluemercury and Macy’s Backstage. Macy’s, Inc. operates stores in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Guam and Puerto Rico, as well as macys.com, bloomingdales.com and bluemercury.com. Bloomingdale’s stores in Dubai and Kuwait are operated by Al Tayer Group LLC under license agreements. Macy’s, Inc. has corporate offices in Cincinnati, Ohio and New York, New York.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.