Johns Creek - Georgia
Date Posted: Oct. 12, 2018
Requisition ID: MAC12586Apply
The Director of Cloud Platform Engineering is responsible for providing strategic and technology leadership for platform engineering required to enable legacy/on-premise application migration to cloud. This position is responsible for collaborating with business partners within Macy’s Technology, Macy’s Product Organization and various other teams to create/socialize/get buy-in on the strategic vision for these areas. The successful candidate would have demonstrated deep domain knowledge in Retail, Omni-Commerce, Digital and Supply Chain including staying abreast with industry and competitive trends. In addition, clear appreciation of future technology trends and proven track record of innovation is required.
As the Director of Cloud Platform Engineering, you will be responsible for ensuring that the platform systems, components, and APIs are created and managed using strong agile development principles, leading-edge technologies, and a strong customer mindset. We are in early stages of our cloud journey which will require you to ensure that the platform can scale for our needs today and over the next several years. Your ability to help create scalable architectures and operational environments are critical. You will help build a world class platform engineering team and function within Macy’s Technology.
The Director will be responsible to deliver in a lean and fast manner, tirelessly looking for improvements, and setting new challenges to energize the team. This leader will partner with other technical and business functions across the enterprise, involved in the strategy and governance, making the right and balanced technical decisions that take into account delivery cost, predictability, and above all, business values. We expect the candidate to be a great partner to Product Managers, not only to ensure the technical aspect and delivery are taken care of, but also understand and influence how the business metrics goal are met, involved in coming up with strategy and tactics to get there. Delivers results by leading efforts in planning, designing, implementing, and maintaining efficient systems and/or processes. Perform other duties as assigned.
• Oversee development and delivery of API-driven compute services, from the physical metal up to the front-end APIs.
• Manage multiple geographically distributed engineering scrum-teams using agile development and DevOps run/operate best practices.
• Drive continuous improvement and optimization of a cloud platform responsible for running highly complex mission critical software applications.
• Collaborate with executive leadership, software engineering and product management teams to ensure engineering execution meets business needs and is delivered in consistent and predictable manner.
• Recruit and manage a team of platform engineers.
• Architect and build scalable cloud infrastructure and processes. Architect and build the platform software for our application solutions.
• Automate aspects of our cloud infrastructure, like releasing, canarying, monitoring, etc.
• Build and manage software delivery, systems integration, and developer support tools.
• Develop KPIs that provide in-depth visibility into system health.
• Collaborate with and empower experience teams to deliver high system uptime and reliability. • Empower development to move quickly while keeping the business safe and stable.
• Architecture, development and delivery of:
- Authentication and Authorization
- Platform as a service capabilities
- Tools that make it easy for developers to build Multi-AZ, multi-region high availability services and applications
- Monitoring and logging utilities for dev teams
• Partner with Security team to implement monitoring and compliance with appropriate security standards.
• Help our organization select appropriate technology investments that keep us in the early adopter phase of the technology adoption curve.
• Supports budgetary direction provided by VP/GVP/SVP. Responsible for managing a budget.
• Champion all non-functional requirements of technical components like high availability, scalability and fault tolerance etc.
• Work with other technical teams to ensure technical strategies, architecture guidelines and standard are realized by efficient collaboration with architecture, development, DevOps and other teams.
• Plan and lead technology evaluation for various critical areas working closely with cross functional teams.
• Own and manage the stability, availability and performance for your applications/systems.
• Own the technology roadmap for the systems and responsible for delivering successful projects for these systems. Ensure successful execution of product roadmap.
• Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or Engineering preferred and 10+ years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• 5+ years proven leadership experience, coaching, developing and engaging technology teams focused on platform engineering.
• 10-12 years engineering, architecting and delivering infrastructure technology solutions.
• 7+ years of leading teams focused on platform and application engineering and operation.
• 5+ years of experience with Cloud platforms (such as Google Cloud, Azure, AWS)
• Direct experience designing and supporting deployment and automation solutions on public/private cloud environments (AWS/Azure/Google Cloud).
• Experience building highly-available services at scale.
• Experience creating and evolving platform libraries/services used by other engineers.
• Experience driving adoption of new technology into existing complex systems.
• Passion for understanding how others build services, and for helping understand and adopt our evolving best-practices.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to read, write, and interpret business and technical documents.
• Demonstrate presentation and interpersonal skills.
• Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and analytical skills.
• Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and make sound decisions.
• This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking.
• May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
• May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, focus adjustment, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time.
• Involves manual dexterity for using keyboard, mouse, and other office equipment.
• May involve moving or lifting items under 10 pounds.
• Strong leadership profile and excellent negotiation skills.
• Demonstrable leadership abilities in changing, ambiguous and challenging situations.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
Macy’s Inc. is one of the nation’s premier retailers. With fiscal 2016 sales of $25.778 billion and approximately 140,000 employees, the company operates more than 700 department stores under the nameplates Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s, and approximately 125 specialty stores that include Bloomingdale’s The Outlet, Bluemercury and Macy’s Backstage. Macy’s, Inc. operates stores in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Guam and Puerto Rico, as well as macys.com, bloomingdales.com and bluemercury.com. Bloomingdale’s stores in Dubai and Kuwait are operated by Al Tayer Group LLC under license agreements. Macy’s, Inc. has corporate offices in Cincinnati, Ohio and New York, New York.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.