The PDM represents the needs of the merchant and marketing end user. They are able to articulate current state business processes, identify gaps or pain points in the workflow and identify future system needs. In partnership with business, they define the roadmap for the program, and then represent the user experience and business priorities to technical teams – who will execute on that vision. As product owner, they remain informed of emerging trends in the market, drive the product forward and are empowered to make project decisions on the features, functions and usability of the product applications. The PDM works collaboratively with the technical lead, UI/UX designer and project manager for ultimate accountability and ownership of all assigned projects. They own socializing the product vision at all levels of the organization through opportunity assessments while driving development with design solutions. They partner closely with stakeholders to ensure solutions are fully leveraged by the business. A successful Product Manager will be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, at various stages of their development in a matrix organization. Perform other duties as assigned.
• Envisioning the development of cohesive future state processes.
• Identifying process and systems gaps preventing realization of the future state process model.
• Creating and prioritizing product backlog by identifying unmet user needs (Gathering & prioritizing functional system requirements).
• Define product narratives for new features/functions (one-pager) and develop benefits case.
• Work hand-in-hand with the business to understand and document business requirements for merchandising and/or marketing workflow. Complete treatments for new feature/functions.
• Write functional user stories (or use cases) associated with corresponding treatment that:
• directly support primary objectives of the project.
• are appropriate in size for iterative development.
• include clear and specific acceptance criteria.
• take into account dependencies on other stories and/or projects & initiatives.
• Responsible for testing and verifying acceptance criteria are met.
• Champion the needs of business teams and stakeholders throughout the development process, ensuring that what is delivered meets the original goals and objectives of the project. Is able to operate in areas of uncertainty and ambiguity.
• Gather input from a variety of internal and external sources to define product concepts; responds to the needs of customers throughout the development process; analyzes competitors and market trends; evaluates technologies; develops detailed requirements, feature definitions, implementation plans, and internal communications.
• Participate in cross-functional teams during the entire lifecycle of product development, including deployment and post-deployment activities. Proactively identifies problems that arise in the project, outlines options, recommends solutions, and escalates as needed.
• Identify areas that require customer research and proposes research activities to direct supervisor and user experience team.
• Partner with user experience (UX resources) to user-test designs through mock-ups, functional prototypes, etc. to ensure they are meeting intended goals.
• Can successfully champion new initiatives to leadership team. Present and secure approval from senior management and other key stakeholders, as necessary.
• Anticipate upstream and downstream impacts of the project and works with internal business groups to adjust business tools and practices in order to support new features and functionality.
• Responsible for communicating product solutions and benefits to customers and stakeholders; including knowledge transfer and training for on-going management of features.
• Develop supporting business cases, including financial impact and benefits statements, to support feature/functionality concepts and sell the concepts to internal audiences through persuasive oral and written presentations.
• Recognized as an expert across the division as someone who has excellent judgment and whose projects have contributed significantly to the success of all Macy’s Inc. brands.
• Manage expectations (negotiating appropriately - right people and right time, where necessary) to ensure a common understanding of where, when, and how the business user stories can be prioritized optimally.
• Secure deep understanding of the data and how it represents and is used by the business; identify gaps where they exist and communicate them to the Data Governance team.
• Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality.
• BA/BS Degree required.
• 3-5 years’ experience in one or more of the following areas: product management, business process development or consulting role.
• Retail experience with some or all of the following marketing functions:
o Campaign Management.
o Campaign and Offer Optimization.
o Real Time Personalization & Offer generation (includes knowledge of event stream processing, beacon messages and customer triggers).
• Excellent communication and presentation skills (oral, written).
• Must be able to work independently with decision making skills.
• Strong analytical, prioritization and negotiating skills.
• Ability to learn and grasp new concepts quickly.
• Creative, open to new ideas.
• Usability and customer-focused design experience a plus.
• Passionate about building great products and solving customer and business problems.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
As the fastest growing part of Macy's Inc. business, macys.com is achieving record sales and broadening our workforce. With offices in New York and San Francisco, macys.com is the best of all worlds. The entrepreneurial thinking of a Web business complements the stability and support of a national brand. Creativity and ingenuity partner with business acumen and tech savvy to build a unique business poised for continued growth. Employees at macys.com have long term opportunities and are encouraged to utilize their Supervisors and Human Resources for cross-functional movement to further their careers. At macys.com we are committed to giving back to the community by partnering with local charitable organizations. By skillfully combining the power of the Internet with the best in retailing, macys.com is reaching new heights.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.