Macy’s Inc. seeks a passionate, team-oriented Principal Architect, User Experience to join its Customer Experience organization. The position requires strategic thought leadership across our digital channels. The Principal Architect plays a key role in developing the multi-year experience roadmap for all features and functionalities across Macy’s channels. Strong candidates have a proven track record of collaborating in a team environment, working and influencing in a cross-functional context, and using research-driven decision making to inform the design of the experience. An ability to present strategic user experience perspectives and formulate visionary solutions is a must. Perform other duties as assigned.
Design thought leadership and technical skills
• Excellent knowledge designing for mobile apps and responsive web experiences.
• High level of understanding of iOS and Android native patterns, alongside mobile UI trends.
• Excellent knowledge of user interface design processes and methodology.
• Ability to design and iterate on UI architecture, interface, and interaction flow of applications and experiences.
• Advanced ability to conceptualize storyboards that represent exceptional user experience designs.
• Advanced proficiency with design / prototyping tools.
• You leverage metrics, optimization, qualitative and quantitative research to inform and validate design decisions.
Strategic thought leadership
• Look beyond the capabilities and limitations of the current day and craft a vision for where the channel is headed.
• Identify creative opportunities for innovating beyond the competition.
• Understand the priorities of the business stakeholders and partner with them to craft the vision for the future.
Deep channel expertise and ownership
• Possess strong background in designing for multiple channels, enterprise systems and technologies.
• Fully versed in the latest business and technology trends within retail landscape.
• Build, maintain, socialize and defend a clear perspective / vision for stores.
• Current on the competitive landscape with a solid perspective on what is working / not working and how / if Macy’s should be considering the same.
• Build solid and well thought out business cases to support desired features functions / enhancements / products.
• Confident and effective in presenting, explaining and defending business cases / arguments to management and stakeholders.
• Cultivate relationships and partnerships across time zones / different offices with people who are not familiar with the digital space.
• Coordinate efforts and align visions with other experience leads
• Provide education, support and mentoring to junior UX designers
• Identify cross-overs / collisions between domains and collaborate on solutions to ensure success and prevent downstream issues
• Engage peripheral department resources to maintain alignment and vision
• Coordinate with research efforts for strategic insights
• Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality
• Bachelor’s degree in design or equivalent professional experience.
• Minimum 10 years UX/UI design experience with at least 5 years in leadership role.
• At least 4 year experience designing across mobile applications.
• Must have a strong portfolio that clearly articulates how complex problems are solved by your user experience flow, architecture, and design.
• Marketplace experience: experience in a store retail environment with sales associate and customer focused technology products.
• Strong verbal and written communicator with all levels of business leaders.
• Ability to influence and cultivate relationship with key business stakeholders in the organization.
• Ability to read, write and interpret business and technical documents.
• Create and present documentation, findings and points of view material.
• Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and analytical skills.
• Expert time management and prioritization skills; ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, at various stages of their development; ability to effectively delegate responsibilities and tasks to staff designers.
• Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
• This position involves regular ambulating, sitting, hearing, and talking.
• May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
• May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, and focus adjustment.
• Involves use of hands and fingers for typing on keyboard and using a mouse.
• May be a need to move or lift items under 10 pounds.
• Sound business judgment: the ability to identify the business objectives, develop and implement a business strategy on projects; capable of making reliable business decisions during execution.
• Strong leadership profile and excellent negotiation skills.
• Ability to inspire, develop, and coach team members.
• Exceptional negotiation skills across a variety of audiences; can successfully advocate both business-facing and IT technology solutions among peers and to executive leadership.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and store/company needs.
As the fastest growing part of Macy's Inc. business, macys.com is achieving record sales and broadening our workforce. With offices in New York and San Francisco, macys.com is the best of all worlds. The entrepreneurial thinking of a Web business complements the stability and support of a national brand. Creativity and ingenuity partner with business acumen and tech savvy to build a unique business poised for continued growth. Employees at macys.com have long term opportunities and are encouraged to utilize their Supervisors and Human Resources for cross-functional movement to further their careers. At macys.com we are committed to giving back to the community by partnering with local charitable organizations. By skillfully combining the power of the Internet with the best in retailing, macys.com is reaching new heights.
This job overview is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy’s, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job overview at any time. Macy’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Macy’s, Inc. – including Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s – will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal convictions in a manner consistent with SFPC Art. 49 and LA MC ch.XVIII Art. 9.