This Staff Software Engineer role in Macy’s Technology is a leader in the design and development of cross-functional, multi-platform application systems.
Translates business requirements into well-engineered, tested and deployed application systems that are used by the business, and support these systems while in production. Interfaces with internal customers to determine the most efficient and cost-effective approach to meet business requirements and designs, develops, tests, installs, and deploys the required software applications. Develops solutions utilizing a variety of software technologies, including new code construction, modifications to existing modules, configuration and/or package implementation. Perform other duties as assigned.
• Leads the development of the strategy and technical design for large work type 2 and 3 projects. Defines timelines and project plans. Analyzes and estimates feasibility, cost, time, and compatibility with hardware and other programs. Ensures that expected application performance levels are achieved.
• Commits to overall deliverables with customers and/or management. Recommends vendors for projects, and negotiates terms/conditions with vendors. Supports evaluation of new technical directions and approaches and makes recommendation to senior MST management.
• Leads the coding/configuration, testing, implementation and documentation of solution. Develops detailed design specifications.
• Performs complex applications programming activities. Codes, tests, debugs, documents, maintains, and modifies complex applications programs.
• Establishes systems to monitor the operating efficiency of existing application systems and provides (or arranges for) proactive maintenance. Leads the resolution of customer inquiries.
• Serves as a coach and mentor to more junior developers. Delegates and manages tasks as appropriate.
• Consistently demonstrates regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
• Demonstrates a broad understanding of the applications and technical architectures.
• Serves as a technical expert on existing applications and other inter- related/adjacent systems and applications.
• Designs systems/applications with high level of complexity (e.g. many interfaces, multiple packages, platforms).
• Evaluates the applicability of leading edge technologies and uses this information to significantly influence future business strategies.
• Brings technical and/or business systems knowledge from external sources and incorporates those ideas into IT work.
• Acts as a technology mentor to team members.
• Bachelor's or Master's Degree preferred and 10+ years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Must have in-depth knowledge of event-driven architecture (EDA) and service-oriented architecture (SOA).
• 5-10 years of hands-on experience with Java Enterprise, Java application servers (Websphere, or Weblogic, or JBOSS), relational databases (Oracle, DB2 or SQL Server) and NoSQL data stores (Cassandra, Elastic Search).
• 3-5 years of hands-on experience with TIBCO technologies such as Business Works, Business Events and EMS is required.
• Deep technical understanding of the technologies in the real-time data hub. The list of technology includes but not limited to: Java/J2EE, Tibco BW/BE/EMS, ActiveSpaces, Spark, Cassandra, Kafka, ElasticSearch, Kibana, Tomcat, JBoss, stream processing, RDBMS, NoSQL databases, In-memory databases, ODS, distributed processing.
• Field experience with other middleware technologies such as WebMethods or Websphere is nice to have.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to read, write, and interpret complex documents.
• Very strong analysis/troubleshooting skills, strong partnering/relationship building skills.
• Ability to consider options and make business decisions (e.g. selection of tools/methodologies for projects).
• This position involves regular ambulating, sitting, hearing, and talking.
• May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
• May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, and focus adjustment.
• Involve use of hands and fingers for typing on keyboard and using a mouse.
• May be a need to move or lift items under 10 pounds.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and store/company needs.