The Associate Financial Planner is responsible for driving sales, margin, turn and growth across both channels for a defined area of responsibility. This role requires the ability to set long range and seasonal top line financial plans that support the assortment vision, merchandising strategy and overall company objectives. This position will support the Financial Planning Director in developing and executing a strategic vision, with a progressive, customer-centric approach all while delivering on sales and profit objectives. A fundamental requirement is to be able to build trust with their teams and key collaborators. Perform other duties as assigned.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
The Associate Financial Planner will be known as a trusted, collaborative and results-oriented business partner and change agent who can lead through influence and who possesses professional maturity and industry credibility. The ideal candidate needs to be comfortable and effective at delivering financial results that maximize sales, inventory, and bottom line profitability. Candidates must be comfortable with quickly evaluating and sun-setting legacy approaches that no longer align to the strategy. The ideal candidate will be known for both vision and an equally strong orientation for speed.
The successful candidate will:
• Make “company first” decisions.
• Ability to influence partners.
• Actively influence market to drive business.
• Develop self by participating in ongoing professional development and training.
• Seek out innovative solutions to existing customer or Company challenges.
• Communicate with candor and value open debate to ensure the best ideas come to life.
Pre-Season Financial Planning
• Lead development of Department/Vendor long range and seasonal financial plans for sales, margin, and turn to FOB goals and align with merchandise strategy in collaboration with Merchant Partners .
• Develop monthly vendor, financial class, and departmental pre-season plans for sales, markdowns, receipts, markups, gross margin, stock, and all financial metrics by channel and execute in PACE planning system.
In-Season Forecasting & ROF
• Create FOB Daily/Event Sales Plan and in-season adjustments based on marketing/promotional events and business trend. Surface risks and opportunities and provide strategic offsets.
• Prepare and execute the Rolling Operating Forecast (ROF) for all financial metrics. Providing solutions, communicating risks and opportunities to key business partners.
• Identify in-season receipt needs based on forecast and communicate changes to the open to buy purchase needs, moves and/or cancellation.
• Partner with Private Brand Product partners to track performance versus plan surfacing issues.
Assortment Vision & Strategy
• Communicate with and attend strategic vendor meetings to support negotiations for pre-season plans and in-season reconciliation.
Assortment Planning & Location
• Execute and project Vendor Margin Template (VMT) in collaboration with key business partners.
• Build plans that support both assortment and door strategies and overall company sales, margin, and turn targets.
• Partner with Pricing to ensure markdown plan and ROF are appropriate and address issues.
• Assist in the development and coaching of Assistant Financial Planners and EDPs.
• Able to develop, plan, present and execute financial strategies.
• Highly proficient in leveraging customer and trend data to inform both strategy and decision making.
• Make all financial planning decisions independently of Financial Planning Director that satisfies the customer demand and achieves sales, turn and margin plan.
• Understands competitive marketplace and pursues white space opportunities that align with North Star Strategy.
• Own and run financial metrics independent of Financial Planner; demonstrates resilience and flexibility when solving problems independently.
• Analyze business in own area and be able to present ROF updates to merchant partners.
• Openly accepts and seeks constructive direction for development from supervisor and leadership.
• Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
• Bachelor's Degree (Business, Finance or equivalent).
• Ideally, 2-plus years of experience in retail, catalogue or ecommerce buying or planning.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence.
• Inspires, motivates, and influences the behavior of others to drive high performance.
• Engages team to examine current practices and encourages creative thinking about how things could be more effective and efficient.
• Asserts own ideas and persuades others in a clear, confident, and composed manner. Tailors message for the audience and is able to gain support and commitment from others.
• Comfortable with taking risks and celebrating risk taking regardless of outcome.
• Collaborative, consultative style with a strong ability to establish trust and build relationships across all levels and functions of the organization.
• Resilient, tenacious, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
• Embraces change with realistic optimism and persists through challenges and setbacks caused by change.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and store/company needs.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.